1. Bishop Guertin...It wasn't surprising that they beat Timberlane, it was surprising that they won 47-6. Holding Furey to under 30 yards rushing is unheard of. They have Dover, Winnacunnet, Keene and Alvirne next 4 games. Should be interesting to see if any of those teams can make it a game.
2. Salem...They proved that they're for real with their 24-7 win this weekend against Pinkerton. They get the nod, just barely over the Sabres. They can solidify their #2 ranking wit a win this weekend at Stellos against Nashua South.
3. Souhegan...They've given me no reason to move them down. Even though they're D-III, they have the size, strength, athleticism and skill that is matched by very few teams in the state. Big game with Portsmouth this Friday night.
4. Exeter...Winnacunnet made them look vulnerable last weekend. They exploited their defense a little bit by going shotgun, 5 wide, empty backfield and moved the ball very well. And the Warrior defense held the Blue Hawks scoreless in the 2nd half and stopped their run. If they didn't shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties they would have won. That would have put them back in the poll, and would have dropped Exeter down. Instead, Exeter won, and South and Pinkerton both lost, so the Blue Hawks stay in the number 4 spot.
5. Nashua South...You have to drop them in the poll, at least a little. Even though they barely lost, they still lost to a team that lost 24-0 to North the week before. This weekend's matchup with Salem will have a big bearing on next week's poll.
6. Pinkerton...Yeah, they have 2 losses. But they're two the top two teams in the state. This is still a good team, and the big Londonderry game is coming up this Saturday.
7. Nashua North...They stay in the 7th spot, where I had them last week after an easy win over Concord. After all, I can't put Central over them after they beat the Little Green two weeks ago.
8. Manchester Central...Big win over Nashua South gets them back in the poll.
9. Plymouth...We still have to wait another week for their Laconia game. Hanover should be a good tune-up for them this weekend.
10. Timberlane...They stay in the poll, even after their blowout loss to BG. Why? They pushed South to the brink in week 1, beat Dover and blew out Merrimack. However, the schedule does stay tough on the Owls - they travel to Keene, then play Salem, Exeter and Winnacunnet. We'll see what they're made of in the coming weeks.
On outside looking in: Trinity, Winnacunnet, Dover, Laconia, Portsmouth, Londonderry, Keene, Alvirne, Bow, Pelham