Monday, December 19, 2011

Campbell Boys Beat the Champs in OT

"Winning ugly sure beats losing pretty" said Campbell head coach Pat Roye.

That pretty much sums up his team's 56-50 win in overtime on the road against the defending Division III champion Somersworth Hilltoppers. It wasn't the prettiest game you'll see, as there was some sloppy play, missed shots inside and turnovers. But it was entertaining, no question about it.

You had a last second three-pointer to force overtime (by Somersworth guard Ryan Seavy), you had a slam dunk in transition (by Campbell forward Calen McKearin). Both teams went 11 players deep, and all 22 of those players gave it everything they had. Campbell is a hot team right now in D-III, as they are now 3-0, including 2 wins on the road vs. other teams expected to compete for a home playoff game (Somersworth and Raymond).

It was a back and forth game, with Campbell leading 16-8 after 1 quarter. Somersworth came back and outplayed the Cougars in the 2nd frame, led by a strong game off the bench by junior John Crenshaw (9 points off the bench, 7 of them in the 2nd quarter). Somersworth continued to play well in the 3rd quarter, starting out on a 6-0 run with baskets by Tyler Kretschmar, Josh Jacques and Matt Robbins. The Hilltoppers really started to frustrate Campbell defesnively, and took their largest lead of the game when they went up 31-25.

"I was happy with the way we played" said Somersworth head coach Lorne Lucas. "Especially for such an inexperienced group we have. If we playued like that last Friday night vs. Hopkinton we would have won by 20. Campbell is a very good team.:

Morgan, McKearin and Max Gouveia led the Campbell comeback, as they went from being down by 6 to being up by 5, 42-37. Morgan had a game-high 17 points, McKearin had 6 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocked shots, Gouveia had 13 points. John Houston was tough on the boards for Campbell, Mike Vigeant gave them some good hustle and Jesiah Wade played with a lot of energy and made plays when they needed them.

Morgan drew a big charge late in the game, but then Seavy hit a three to tie it up at 45-45 after a lane violation on Campbell only gave organ 1 free throw chance instead of 2. In overtime Mckearin was too much for Somersworth to handle on both ends of the floor, and the Cougars won it 56-50.

Transfer guard Jeremy Dognies also played well for Somersworth with a team-high 13 points, while another transfer guard Terrance Herbert (from Portsmouth) sat out his second straight game.

No comments:

Post a Comment