As we did for football and girls basketball, we take one last look at the boys basketball Class of 2013 from NH to recognize the top players from this class and where they are now playing in college.
The biggest story here is former Alvirne High standout Tyler Livingston, who went from being highly underrated for most of his high school career to being the only player from this class now playing Division I college basketball. Despite flying under the radar, the 6-foot-5 wing forward quietly just kept working hard on his game. Now not only did he make the team at UMass Lowell, but he's scoring 8 points per game while averaging over 29 minutes per contest as a freshman. Very impressive numbers, especially for a kid from NH who didn't go to prep school or always play for a big time AAU program.
The player who was a steal for the college he is now playing for is Duncan Robinson (New Castle, NH). Robinson was widely considered to be a D-I or D-II player with his combination of size, athleticism, skill and ability to play both outside and in. Instead he went for a good basketball program but an even better education at Williams College. The other guy who falls into that category is Harry Rafferty at Wesleyan.
The other 2 scholarship players from this class were Devin Gilligan (Augustana College) and Matt Barr (Bentley), while Kaleb Marquis (Concord, NH) made the team at Division I Long Island University as a walk-on.
Three players from this class are now teammates at the University of New England and they're all forwards, as Coach Silva stockpiled his front line with local talent (Tom Nason, Doug Gemmell and Sam Thomas). Plymouth State meanwhile has a whopping 5 local players from this class, as Curtis Arsenault, Jack Preston, Nick MacGregor, Christian Hawkins and PJ Flaum are all wearing green. MacGregor is playing alongside his older brother Mark for PSU, while his former teammate at Spaulding Dominic Paradis is contributing right away at Gordon College.
David Hampton (St. Lawrence U), Rene Maher (Colby Sawyer) and Matt Persons (RPI) all played AAU together with the GS Raiders, with Maher and Persons winning a D-II high school state championship last March for Pembroke. Speaking of AAU teammates, Robinson and Rafferty both played together first on MB Nation and then more recently with the Middlesex Magic. Then you have the Bishop Elite, where Gilligan, Nason, Kamahl Walker (Endicott) and Zach Grattan (Hobart) all played together.
Without any further ado, here is the final prospect rankings list for the boys basketball Class of 2013 and where each is playing college basketball:
1. Duncan Robinson 6'7" Guard/Forward Phillips Exeter Academy...Williams College
2. Devin Gilligan 6'5" Guard/Forward Kimball Union Academy...Augustana College
3. Harry Rafferty 6'0" Guard Phillips Exeter Academy...Wesleyan University
4. Matt Barr 6'1" Guard Cushing Academy...Bentley University
5. Tyler Livingston 6'5" Forward Alvirne HS...UMass Lowell
6. Kamahl Walker 5'10" Guard Bridgton Academy...Endicott College
7. Curtis Arsenault, 6'1" Guard/Forward Phillips Exeter Academy...Plymouth State University
8. Zach Grattan 6'9" Center John Stark Regional HS...Hobart College
9. Doug Gemmell 6'4" Forward Central Catholic HS...University of New England
10. Richard O'Brien 5'11" Guard St. Andrew's School...Worcester Polytechnic Institute
11. Dominic Paradis 6'4" Forward Spaulding HS...Gordon College
12. David Hampton 5'11" Guard Lebanon HS...St. Lawrence University
13. Jack Preston 6'5" Forward Nashua High South...Plymouth State University
14. Rene Maher 5’8” Guard Pembroke Academy...Colby Sawyer
15. Tom Nason 6'10" Center Berwick Academy...University of New England
16. Matt Persons 6'0" Guard Pembroke Academy...RPI
17. Kaleb Marquis 5'10" Guard Concord HS...Long Island University
18. Sam Thomas 6'8" Bedford HS...University of New England
19. Max Gouveia 5'11" Guard Campbell HS...Eckerd College
20. Andrew Ruffen 6'2" Guard Salem HS...Saint Joseph's of Maine
21. Nick MacGregor 6'2" Guard Spaulding HS...Plymouth State University
22. Jordon Richard 5'11" Guard Raymond HS...NHTI
23. Christian Hawkins 6'1" Newmarket HS...Plymouth State University
24. PJ Flaum 5'11" Guard Hollis Brookline HS...Plymouth State University