Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Big 2nd Half for Anderson Lifts Derryfield Past Sunapee

Derryfield School 6-foot-5 sophomore forward Sam Anderson was held scoreless in the 1st half on Wednesday night vs. Sunapee as he picked up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the 1st quarter and sat the remainder of the half as Derryfield had a slim 27-25 lead at halftime.

"Coach and I have an agreement, if I get 2 fouls in the 1st half I sit" explained Anderson.

But in the 2nd half Anderson stayed on the court and out of foul trouble. He took over the game, dropping 19 points in the 2nd half to lead the Cougars to a 66-49 win in Division IV.

"We were lucky to only be down 2 at halftime" said Sunapee head coach Ed Tenney. "Then in the 2nd half they got him back in and it was like adding another player to their team - he was the best player on the floor tonight."

There was a key stretch in the 3rd quarter where Derryfield went on a 19-7 run to go up 48-36 and take control of the game. Anderson scored 11 points and fellow big man Griffin Lamp scored 6 in the 3rd quarter alone. All of those points were on layups, with many of them being uncontested.

"We knew we had the height and we just had to use it" said Anderson, whose older brother Max Anderson was named D-IV Player of the Year last season as a senior. "We know where to find the advantages, and our guards were getting us the ball."

With Anderson (6'5"), Lamp (6'2"), Jesse Bryan (6'2") and Grant Glosner (6'5"), Derryfield had a decided size advantage over a Sunapee team which didn't play anybody taller than 6'1".

"It's not necessarily that they were bigger than us" said Coach Tenney. You can have smaller players if they are athletic and are competing, but we weren't. We didn't compete, we didn't have leadership. We didn't sustain positive execution on offense. We didn't show patience with it. We looked like an inexperienced team. Other than 2 players the rest of the team has a combined 12 quarters of varsity experience."

Sunapee actually started the 3rd quarter off strong, as Mike Platt and Issaiah Chappell (13 points) drove the lane and hit floaters to tie the game up 29-29. That's when Derryfield took over. Senior guard Pat McGinley (14 points) converted an easy layup in transition, as Sunapee wasn't able to get back on defense. Anderson finished an and-1, followed by back-to-back inside buckets by Lamp with the first one being a wide open layup and the second one being a put-back. Anderson converted an easy layup and it was 48-36 Derryfield, capping the 19-7 run.

It was more of the same in the 4th quarter. Anderson grabbed an offensive board without anyone from Sunapee putting a body on him and then easily converted the layup. Later in the 4th quarter Anderson blocked a shot and then on the other end drove hard to the rim for 2 more points. Senior guard Rob Rizos (11 points) hit a floater in the lane to make it 62-46 Cougars with just 1:50 remaining and Derryfield cruised to the win from there.

Sunapee is led by the explosive, high-scoring back court of Chappell and Matt Tenney (son of Coach Tenney) who are both juniors. Chappell had 13 and Tenney dropped a game-high 20 points, but overall Derryfield did a good job of defending them. They combined for 33 points, but the Cougars made it tough for them to get good looks as many of the shots they took were off balanced, contested or forced.

"We knew they were going to get some points, we just tried to contain them" said Anderson, who had 8 rebounds and 2 blocks in addition to his 19 points.

Derryfield jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the 1st quarter, as Anderson made a nice dish inside to Bryan for a layup, followed by a layup by senior guard Joe Holden and then Rizos broke his man down off the dribble and when no help side defense came over he finished the layup.

Tnney got the Lakers on the board with a tip-in on the break, and then Tenney made another good move by driving hard into the lane, drawing a second defender and then dishing it to Ryan Grzanna for an and-1. Rizos drove into the lane and hit a floater and then McGinley buried a 3-pointer to put Derryfield up 11-4. Tenney answered right back with a pull-up jumper from 15 feet to cut it to 11-6.

McGinley banked in a 3-pointer and then Rizos zipped a pass over to a wide open Lamp underneath the bucket for a layup and a 16-6 Cougars' lead. Sunapee ended the 1st quarter on a 7-0 run though, as Chappell stole the ball and raced to the rim for a fast-break layup. Chappell then pulled up on the break for a 3 and then the Lakers kept looking to run which resulted in an and-1 finish in transition by Platt. It was 16-13 Derryfield after 1.

Platt made it a 9-0 run by Sunapee with a baseline drive and finish to cut the Derryfield lead to 16-15. It should be noted that the 9-0 run by Sunapee took place with Anderson on the bench with 2 fouls. Rizos made a nice block on Chappell. Tenney drilled a long jumper (had a foot on the line) but then McGinley countered with a 3-pointer off a drive-and-kick by Rizos (third 3 of the game by McGinley). Bryan made a nice block on 'D' for the Cougars. Tenney made a great move right before the end of the 1st half, pushing it hard in transition on 2 defenders, splitting the defenders and getting to the rim with a nifty spin move before finishing strong with his left hand. It was 27-25 Derryfield at halftime.

No comments:

Post a Comment