Three weeks of football are in the books. Here are the New Hampshire Notebook's statewide top 10 football teams in the NHIAA.
Not much movement in the rankings this week. All of the teams we had in our top 10 won this past weekend, except for Salem and BG. But they both lost to teams ranked above them, so you can't justify dropping them too far. Our updated top 10 looks like this:
9. St. Thomas
10. Bishop Guertin
Now, here's why we ranked the teams in that order...
1. Goffstown - Goffstown, Bedford and Pinkerton can all make a strong case for the #1 spot. Goffstown has to be your #1 team for now, though. Why? Because Goffstown, Bedford and Pinkerton have each played 1 game against a top 10 team. Bedford had to come back from a 2nd half deficit to beat BG and Pinkerton only led Salem by 1 TD (28-20) in the 2nd half. But when Goffstown beat Concord it wasn't even close, the game was essentially over after the 1st quarter. Goffstown remains our #1 team in the state.
2. Bedford - A very good football team in all phases of the game. A big o-line with 5 seniors, plenty of speed on the outside and hard hitters on defense.
3. Pinkerton - Watch out, folks. This Pinkerton team is still a force to be reckoned with. Brett Dattilo is filling in nicely for the injured TJ Urbanik. Dattilo torched Salem for over 200 yards on Saturday, and the Astros have the most dangerous passing game they've had in years led by junior QB Ryan Albrecht.
4. Exeter - Two of their wins went down to the wire, including a win over un-ranked Londonderry. But still, Exeter is one of only four unbeaten teams in D-I, so they belong in the #4 spot.
5. Salem - Pretty easy choice, here. Both Salem and Winnacunnet are 2-1, but Salem beat Winnacunnet head-to-head in week 1. So Salem is #5 and Winnacunnet is #6.
6. Winnacunnet - See Salem.
7. Timberlane - Both Timberlane and Concord are 2-1. Both teams only loss came to teams which are currently undefeated. But Timberlane barely lost to Exeter, whereas Concord got blown out by Goffstown. So we have Timberlane at #7 and Concord at #8.
8. Concord - see Timberlane.
9. St. Thomas - another blowout win for the Saints, cruising past Merrimack Valley in week 3. They move up 1 spot past BG, who is now just 1-2 on the season.
10. Bishop Guertin - yes, their record is only 1-2. But this is clearly one of the top 10 teams in the state. Their first loss was only by 3 to a very tough Concord team, and BG played that game without their top WR Nick Lorden. Their other loss was on Saturday night to Bedford, but BG gave Bedford all they could handle - leading that game 22-21 late in the 3rd quarter.
Games this weekend with top 10 teams squaring off...
#5 Salem vs. #7 Timberlane on Friday, and the game of the week #4 Exeter vs. #6 Winnacunnet on Saturday