Four weeks of football are in the books. Here are the New Hampshire Notebook's statewide top 10 football teams in the NHIAA.
Lots of shaking up going n as a result from this past week's games. 3 teams which were in our top 10 last week suffered their second loss of the season - Concord, Timberlane and Winnacunnet. The question is, how far should these teams drop in the rankings? BG won this past weekend, but they already had 2 losses. Then you have Manchester Central, which hasn't been ranked thus far this season, but they are now 3-1. Our updated top 10 looks like this:
6. St. Thomas
7. Manchester Central
10. Bishop Guertin
Now, here's why we ranked the teams in that order...
1. Goffstown - I had them #1 last week and they won again, so they're still at #1.
2. Pinkerton - I moved Pinkerton up one spot to #2, because Bedford standout RB Sean Tierney is out for the year due to an injury suffered in the BG game. Pinkerton's top RB (TJ Urbanik) is also out for the year, but lucky for the Astros, Urbanik's repalcement (Brett Dattilo) is leading D-I in rushing.
3. Bedford - See Pinkerton
4. Exeter - 3 of their 4 wins have gone down to the wire, but hey they are 4-0 in Division I. The Blue Hawks are clearly a top 4 team in the state right now. Bill Ball and his staff are doing another great coaching job.
5. Salem - Salem solidified their status as a top 5 team in the NHIAA by going on the road last Friday night and beating a very tough Timberlane team by 2 scores.
6. St. Thomas - while the rest of the teams in D-I keep knocking each other off, St. Thomas is cruising along in D-II and just keeps on blowing out the competition each week.
7. Manchester Central - a lot of people around the state probably wrote Central off after their blowout loss in week 1 vs. BG. Probably everybody - except themselves. Central is now 3-1, while the other D-I teams in the rankings have 2 losses.
8. Winnacunnet - of the many 2-2 teams in D-I, Winnacunnet has the most impressive resume. They blew out a good Merrimack team, and both losses came to top 5 teams in the state and both came down to the final drive.
9. Timberlane - Timberlane gets the nod over BG. Even though both teams have 2 losses, both of Timberlane's losses were by 10 points or less and both came to top 5 teams. BG however had one loss by 3 touchdowns (to Bedford), and the other loss came to a team which is no longer ranked (Concord).
10. Bishop Guertin - see Timberlane
Games to watch this weekend - Exeter vs. Salem, Timberlane vs Winnacunnet