Monday, September 14, 2015
Statewide Top 10 Football Teams
9. Bishop Guertin
10. St. Thomas
Now, here's why we ranked the teams in that order...
1. Goffstown - there's five 2-0 teams in D-I, so why is Goffstown #1? Because not only are the Grizzlies 2-0, but in both of their games they absolutely crushed the competition. They went up 35-0 on Concord early in the 3rd quarter and it was running time the rest of the way. In week 2 vs. Keene they were up 37-0 at halftime. Goffstown, Bedford and Pinkerton are all 2-0 and all their wins have been blowouts. Goffstown is the only one of the 3 teams with a win over another top 10 team (Concord). Goffstown's thumping of Concord looks even more impressive now, following the Crimson Tide's win over a tough BG team this past weekend.
2. Bedford - A very strong start for Bedford, with first-year head coach Derek Stank. Blowout wins over Nashua North and Nashua South.
3. Pinkerton - I know most people are ranking Pinkerton #1, I'm not sold yet. They had 3 players on last year's team who were D-I college prospects. Lineman Noah Robison is now playing at Coastal Carolina University. Lineman Hayden Sturdevant transferred to the Salisbury School. RB/DB TJ Urbanik is out for the year with a knee injury. Yes, Pinkerton is still really good. They cruised past Spaulding and Portsmouth in the first 2 weeks, but neither team is considered a contender. For now at least, this is as high as I can put the Astros.
4. Salem - A close win over #6 ranked Winnacunnet and a blowout win over Dover. Salem was one of the top 4 teams in the state last year, they have a lot of kids back from that team and they haven't disappointed so far.
5. Exeter - A close win over #7 ranked Timberlane and in week 2 they cruised past Spaulding. They were one of the top 8 teams in the state last year and have a lot of kids back.
6. Winnacunnet - Barely lost to Salem in week 1, and then in week 2 they had a blowout win over a Merrimack team which beat Portsmouth by 2 touchdowns in week 1.
7. Timberlane - They were right there with Exeter in week 1, and if not for a couple of costly penalties they could have won that game. This past weekend the Owls topped Londonderry by 3 touchdowns.
8. Concord - their week 1 blowout loss to Goffstown says more about how good Goffstown is than how bad Concord is. Then this past weekend the Crimson Tide beat a BG team that was in everyone's top 10.
9. Bishop Guertin - a blowout win over Central in week 1, and a narrow loss to Concord in week 2. Both Concord and BG are 1-1, but Concord beat B 17-14. So Concord is ranked #8 and BG is #9.
10. St. Thomas - the Saints appear to be the early favorite in D-II, with a pair of blowout losses in their first two contests. If they keep it up they could certainly move up higher on the list.
Games this weekend with top 10 teams squaring off...
#2 Bedford vs. #9 BG, and the game of the week #3 Pinkerton vs. #4 Salem