Seven weeks of football are in the books. Here are the New Hampshire Notebook's statewide top 10 football teams in the NHIAA.
5. St. Thomas
9. Bishop Guertin
Now, here's why we ranked the teams in that order...
1. Goffstown - After a tough, hard fought win over Bedford, Goffstown went back to blowing teams out this past weekend with a thumping of Central. 7 touchdowns for Connor Bourque was very impressive.
2. Exeter - the Blue Hawks are the only other unbeaten in D-I besides Goffstown.
3. Bedford - Bedford's only loss came by just 1 score to #1 ranked Goffstown.
4. Timberlane - the Owls are on a roll right now. They've won 3 in a row, including wins over Pinkerton and Winnacunnet. Hard to pick against them right now.
5. St. Thomas - yes, it's true that they don't play as competitive of a schedule as the teams in D-I. Still, the Saints are 7-0 and have won every game by 34 points or more so it's hard to put them any lower than this.
6. Salem - the Blue Devils are 5-2 and they finish up with Portsmouth and Londonderry, so they'll likely be sitting at 7-2 in 2 weeks. If not for a last second score they would have beaten Exeter and they'd be ranked even higher.
7. Winnacunnet - the Warriors get the slight nod over Pinkerton for the #7 spot. Pinkerton is 5-2, a better record than Winnacunnet (4-3), so why would the Warriors be ranked higher? Because Pinkerton has lost 2 games in a row and Winnacunnet beat Pinkerton by 2 scores just 2 weeks ago. Plus Pinkerton still has to play Exeter, while Winnacunnet will be favored in their remaining 2 games (vs. Londonderry and vs. Spaulding).
8. Pinkerton - they may have lost their last 2 games, but this is still a team that beat Salem by 2 scores. They are still very dangerous.
9. Bishop Guertin - an impressive win this past weekend for BG by crushing Nashua North. They definitely belong at least this high in the rankings. Still, we can't justify them being higher than the #9 spot, because they have yet to beat a team currently ranked in the top 10, one of their losses came vs. un-ranked Concord and BG still has to play #1 ranked Goffstown.
10. Windham - They're in D-I and 3 of their wins have been by 2 scores or less, but still the Jaguars are unbeaten and they belong on this list. It's looking more and more like we could be in for a rematch of last year's D-II title game, which was an instant classic.