The regular season is complete. Here are the top 10 NHIAA football teams, regardless of division as we head to the playoffs.
7. St. Thomas
9. Bishop Guertin
10. Nashua North
Now, here's why we ranked the teams in that order...
1. Goffstown - The only unbeaten team in D-I. Not bad for a team that was in D-III just a couple years ago.
2. Bedford - Bedford is the only 1 loss team in D-I. Their only loss came by just one TD to unbeaten Goffstown.
3. Timberlane - Timberlane, Salem, Pinkerton and Exeter all finish at 7-2. How did we decide what order to rank them in? Timberlane gets the #3 spot, because they are on a roll. The Owls have won 5 in a row, including wins over Pinkerton, Winnacunnet and Merrimack (beat Winnacunnet by 11 and Merrimack by 24).
4. Salem - the Blue Devils get the #4 spot, because they have won 4 games in a row, which is almost as impressive of a streak as Timberlane.
5. Pinkerton - the Astros and Exeter have the same record. They just played last weekend and Pinkerton won. Exeter has now lost 2 games in a row, so Pinkerton has to be #5 and Exeter limps into the playoffs at #6.
6. Exeter - they are ranked down there at #6, but the Blue Hawks are still a dangerous playoff team. They have lost their last 2 games, but both losses came as a result of last minute scores by the opposition.
7. St. Thomas - Another dominating performance last weekend by St. Thomas. The Saints are undefeated in D-II, so you can't justify ranking them any lower than this.
8. Winnacunnet - Winnacunnet, BG and North round out our top 10. All 3 teams finish at 6-3. Despite being the only team that's not in the playoffs, Winnacunnet is the #8 team because they beat Pinkerton and only lost by 1 score in the final minute to both Exeter and Salem.
9. Bishop Guertin - the Cardinals get the nod over North for the #9 spot, because both teams went 6-3 but BG beat North during the regular season (by a lot).
10. Nashua North - a strong regular season for North, especially coming off the past couple seasons when they struggled.